Personality / Commitment
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines and strive to continuously meet the unmet needs of patients worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big, and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
We now seek a talented and motivated Formulation Research Scientist to join the Formulation & Biopharmaceutics team in Pharmaceutical Technology & Development in Gothenburg, starting approximately in August until end of March 2021.
Pharmaceutical Technology & Development (PT&D) is a global function tasked with design, development, commercialization and support of AstraZeneca’s medicines and reports to the EVP of Operations. Inhalation Product Development in Gothenburg sits within PT&D and is responsible for the development of inhalation combination products. Inhalation Product Development deliver the therapies of the future through scientific leadership in drug delivery, formulation and manufacturing the final drug product. Operations at AstraZeneca is a truly world-class business unit. It offers one of the most exciting, fast-paced, challenging and rewarding work environments in the world of operations, supply chain and manufacturing.
The role will be primarily laboratory based, where pharmaceutical technology and/or product development expertise are required, with combination of theoretical and technical approaches. You will share your knowledge in a common effort with a team of colleagues to drive drug development projects forward and acquire an understanding of the drug development process. You apply your knowledge in an area of product development with a clear focus on drug project work.
What we offer you at ALTEN
Every employee is equally valuable in the success of ALTEN! We are driven by making people grow and develop, which is why we offer you the opportunity to work with what you are truly passionate about. At ALTEN, we have a broad range of assignments at most of the leading companies in Sweden in several different sectors, to make it possible for your wishes to come true. We offer both national and international opportunities and together with your coaching manager, you build your career path so you constantly are able to develop and achieve your goals and dreams!
As a consultant at ALTEN, you will get the genuine team feeling at your assignment but also a wonderful togetherness at ALTEN. Through our different internal networks, such as ALTEN Sports, Women@ALTEN and ALTEN Innovation you will get the opportunity to drive topics and activities that are close to your heart, together with your colleagues. All activities are of course optional. Work life balance is our top priority. We also have a collective agreement and other benefits like Pension, Insurances and Wellness grants.
We believe in growing together!
Job / Skills
This is a unique opportunity for an enthusiastic, innovative and motivated Scientist/Senior Scientist to join the Inhalation Product Development teams at our Gothenburg site.
Main duties and responsibilities
In your role as Formulation Scientist, you will:
• Work with the design of new inhaled products within AstraZeneca’s exciting pipeline
• Design and develop high quality drug products used in clinical studies, from early through late development phase to commercial products, using your understanding of the drug development process and relevant requirements from medical authorities.
• Participate in cross-functional interactions on a project needs basis, including contributions to regulatory documentation and submissions, within project timelines.
• Manage own work to achieve drug development and improvement project targets, in a timely fashion and to agreed quality standards, by applying technical knowledge and expertise as well as interpreting results and adapting investigations as appropriate.
• As a Responsible Formulator you will generate commercially viable manufacturing methods, plans, protocols and reports ensuring that project objectives are met.
• Perform optimization for micronization, blending and spray drying processes
• Carry out in process characterization testing, e.g. particle sizing, bulk density, water content, to ensure quality measurements are fulfilled
• Apply scientific knowledge and collaborate with scientific specialists and/or technology networks to increase base-line knowledge and create awareness of new developments in relevant areas.
• Perform Technology Transfer of drug product manufacturing processes.
• Contribute to the development of cutting edge inhaled platforms, for today and for the future needs
• Take responsibility for common laboratory equipment and facilities.
• Educational background at graduate (minimum) level (e.g. MSc) in a discipline relevant to pharmaceutical technology, chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, formulation science or equivalent qualifications.
• Experience from pharmaceutical technology/formulation work within the pharmaceutical industry.
• Experience of working in clinical manufacturing according cGMP and Quality Procedures
• Competency in development and manufacture of a range of pharmaceutical dosage forms, preferably inhaled formulations
• Experience of design and development drug delivery systems for inhaled applications.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Skills and Capabilities
• Ability to work flexibly and adapt to changing priorities.
• Ability to utilize scientific and innovative thinking.
• Ability to work both in a team and independently, using your own initiative.
• Ability to attend to details and at the same time understand their connection and impact on the bigger picture.
• Enthusiasm for laboratory based work.
• Practical approach to problem solving.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.